[This is the continuation of an assignment I gave previously. See earlier posts for details or click on “Assignment 001” on the right and scroll through]
First up for the word pairing combos is Repeated Folding with Angled Sliding. The first two are shown below in the large images with four small images of some of the original word pair blocks I used as starting points. In these two experiments folding occurred prior to sliding. In the large image on the left I applied Repeated Folding to the blue fabric, followed by slicing the block and sliding the two pieces on angle along the white fabric. This results in a highly textured piece with a break and shift. In the large image on the right, the folds occur in the white fabric “slide.” Again the blue rectangle was sliced and slid, but this time the shift is revealed in the offset of folds of the white fabric.
In the following two blocks, I reversed the order of operations. First I sliced and slid the blue fabric along the white slide, and then added Repeated Folding. In the image on the left I did a continuous and evenly spaced folding, whereas on the right I added the folding only between the seams in the blue pieces.
The next pairing combo is Repeated Folding with Mirrored Rippling. I thought I was really going to love these but after going through the exercise I am rethinking. Like above, I tried switching the order of operations to discover what effects I could get. The large images below are the combos, the small photos underneath are the previous block ideas I was working from. In these attempts I essentially created a pleated fabric and used it within the blocks for the white pieces. This adds the folded texture within contained areas. Oops, I seem to have lost the mirrored aspect of Mirrored Rippling in two of these!
In this last image below, I used one block of Mirrored Rippling and added the evenly spaced folds. This results in an interesting jagged lines in the edges of the triangles.
I am still in the experimental phase where I am generating ideas and exploring, so I don’t like to critique the work too much because who knows what might work later? That said, I definitely have some observations that suggest other experiments or start to point towards blocks that have more potential.
My first observation is that in the pieces with the all-over folding, the fold lines run to the edges of the blocks. This may or may not be a good thing when combining blocks. Not to mention when I do a lot of this, I loose about a quarter of my block to folds!
The flip side of that, however, is when the folds occur in the fabric first and get sewn into the blocks second. The pleats are usually bound within certain shapes and may counteract the angles of the block. For instance in some of the experiments the folds are oriented vertically, which, now that I step back and look at it, don’t seem to “play nicely” with the triangular shapes they are in. I find they stop and start with little relation to the shapes around them. I could try some new blocks where I change the orientation of the folds to relate more directly to the larger shapes of the blocks.
I am finding generally that the folding technique can be overwhelming, both to me in terms of making it and more importantly in how it sits in the blocks. I think a little of this technique can go a long way, and I am most interested in the blocks where a little bit might peak out here and there. I also like when this technique amplifies the movement of the pattern rather than stifles it.
I still have one more pairing combo to work on: Angled Sliding with Mirrored Rippling. This one is less obvious to me about how I go about it, but I also think that it could be really fun!