Design in Progress

I’m having so much fun bringing design ideas together for this assignment! As a way of starting I decided to just repeat the block that was the most “block-like” (a block that, based on the where its points and lines are, already would create alignments within a standard repeated grid.)  “Mirrored Rippling,” is a rectangular block split diagonally into four pieces. When repeated horizontally and vertically, it immediately produces a dramatic movement that I can redirect by implementing mirroring in a few areas. I immediately loved the patterns this produced. Talk about movement! See image below, left.

The next step was to adjust the repeats by implementing the other word pairings. I loved the arrow-head looking block I had made by operating “Angled Sliding” onto the Rippling block, so I started repeating that slide within the repeat. See below, right.

Repeat 01-2

I’m really excited by the intensity, but I do think there needs to be areas of difference and rest, so I explored how I could bring Repeated Folding into the mix and use it to create breaks in the pattern. See image below. I felt the best place to bring in the folds was in the space created behind the piece that slid: the arrow-head. This provided the opportunity to keep the folding going on the diagonal beyond the borders of each individual block, which results in the white streaks.

I flipped the whole layout from the original test above so that the arrow-heads angled right instead of left. This just felt better to me.

Repeat 03

Before I swapped the orientation, I tried a few quick samples of adding the folding into tail end of the arrow-head block. The left side of the image is without folding, the middle right adds the folding into just the new white area created by the slide of the purple, and the far right block implements the folding into the entire white area behind the arrow head. That last one is the one I’m liking best.IMG_5854arrow

I really like where this is going, but was also interested in bringing back in the “Slide” I had explored in some of the original “Angled Sliding” blocks. In the patterns above, I noticed that the alignment of the blocks created diagonal lines that could be used to slide parts of the pattern along one another. Interestingly, this changes the way the block is made: no longer is a block a rectangular unit, but instead it shifts to be a linear row.

The lower left image shows the units in the original orientation. Because I always like to change things up and look at things in new ways, I also tried rotating the whole thing 90 degrees. What strikes me in these tests is the way the repetitive patterns shifts: the alignment of rows changes from on-point to offset. This use of sliding can generate more amazing movement in the overall pattern.

Repeat 06-7

With these studies, I delved into fabric. I already know that I want to make two quilts. I am so excited by what is happening here that I haven’t even moved on to try shifts in scale or other suggestions I had given when I wrote the assignment!

Below is the current state of my design wall. The last of the test samples above is the first I’m making in fabric. I’m curious about the edges. I tend to work with patterns that bleed beyond the borders of the quilt, but here I’m also exploring possible white space at the edges of some of the pattern.

IMG_5852Designwall

And now back to work!

Advertisements

One thought on “Design in Progress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s